Monday is Cranky re-run day. For all those with New Years Resolutions, here is one from March 2011
CRANKY’S EXCERCISE ROUTINE FOR OLD PEOPLE
CRANKY’S EXCERCISE ROUTINE FOR OLD PEOPLE
1. Sit-ups – To keep a svelte mid-section sit-ups are very important. The proper sit-up form is imperative. From a horizontal position in bed, using slight pressure from your elbows lift yourself upward from your pillows, lean forward, swing your legs over the side of the bed and stand up. In order to lie down again, simply perform the same movement in reverse order. I perform this movement at least 18 times a day. More if nature is calling a lot.
2. Vertical push-aways – To work those pecs, arms and leg muscles, grab a table with both hands while sitting in a chair; simultaneously push away with the arms and legs, and stand up. This movement should be repeated at least three times per day. For extra exercise, the more advanced can also remove plates from the table and carry them to the kitchen sink.
3. Stretching – Keeping limber and loose is very important in any physical fitness regime. In the morning I bend over and place white cotton socks over my feet and pull upward, I then reach upward in order to place a shirt over my head, pull down slowly on the shirt until comfortable. These movements if done with proper form will loosen up back, shoulders, arms and legs.
4. Double Leg Shuffle – Without sufficient leg strength, all exercise is useless. I make sure to daily lift first one leg, shuffle it forward and then do the same with the other leg. This forward movement not only works all the muscles in your legs, it also allows you to move yourself to the bathroom, the kitchen, the TV and back to bed. Exercise the Double Leg Shuffle daily as needed.
5. Weight Lifting – Weight lifting builds muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat. I work out daily with a three pound laptop computer. Picking it up and putting it down throughout the day provides excellent weight training. Opening the computer, and snapping it shut provides additional muscle development. I recommend as many as five to eight reps per day.
6. Resistance Training – Force against an immovable object works the muscles much like weight training. For resistance training, I argue with Mrs. Cranky. This exercises the jaw muscles, and the flailing of arms improves blood circulation.
7. Aerobic Exercise – To maintain a healthy heart, good lungs, and stamina one should exercise aerobically at least three times a week. I find making up with Mrs. Cranky after resistance training to be very effective. We try and “make up” at least three times a week. Seven minutes of this aerobic exercise a week keeps me trim and fit.
8. Virtual Exercise – At my age strenuous workouts can be dangerous. I prefer virtual exercise. For ten minutes, every day, I think about running. Thinking about running increases my pulse rate and is a good heart workout.
9. Cool Down – Any exercise program should include a cool down. A proper cool down lets the body safely return to its normal heart rate and blood pressure. My cool down involves not thinking about running for two minutes, followed by lying down and watching TV. Cool down should not be underutilized. Repeat cool down as necessary.
As important as exercise is, it is important to know your limits. Before attempting Cranky’s strenuous regime, be sure to consult with your doctor. Results will vary from person to person and Cranky’s slim body and energy level is not guaranteed.


0 Yorumlar