Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Valley of Amazement; Amy Tan


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?

Nov 5, 2013-Ecco (Harper Collins)

Chapter 1 - Hidden Jade Path
Shanghai 1905-1907
Violet

"When I was seven, I knew exactly who I was: a thoroughly American girl in race, manners, and speech, whose mother, Lulu Minturn, was the only white woman who owned, a first-class courtesan house in Shanghai.

My mother named me Violet after a tiny flower she loved as a girl growing up in San Francisco, a city I have seen only in postcards.  I grew to hate my name  The courtesans pronounced it like the Shanghainese word vyau-la ---what you said when you wanted to get rid of something. Vyau-la! Vyau-la! greeted me everywhere."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think? Would you keep reading? Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar