Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Make a DIY Faux Olive Tree for Less

The faux plant trend is continuing this week (see some of my favorite spring florals here!) with a tutorial even I didn't think would turn out that great! 😂 I have wanted a tallish plant for the basement for sometime -- we do get a good amount of daylight down there, but not enough that I could keep something alive. 

I have real fiddle leaf figs all over our house (see my tips for taking care of fiddles here) so I wanted something different. I started searching fake olive trees instead, but found they are pretty expensive. The best version (with good reviews) I found was $115. 

As I was searching online, I came across tutorials for a fake, do-it-yourself olive tree. Huh. I never even considered it, but it got my mind going. I figured I would take one for the team and try it out -- not really expecting it to look that great.

But you have to try, right? I combined tips for this faux olive tree project from here and here -- they both had great tutorials that helped a ton. Keep in mind this DIY was REALLY worth it because I got all of my supplies at half the cost. Look for sales and use coupons! 

Step one: Figure out your trunk

I started with the "trunk" of the tree. I could have easily gone and cut a thick branch off of a tree. I was going to do that, but then I realized how cold and snowy it was outside. I didn't want to get my boots on and go forage in the woods. Cold. Snow. Wah. 

So instead I check out the "dried naturals" section at the craft store. They had actual (thin) wood trunks, which cracked me up that we can buy part of a tree at the store. But I wanted something that looked a little more natural and organic than just a straight branch. 

I figured those white branches on the left would be perfect: 
dried naturals section with branches

This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. 
See my policies and disclosure page for more information.  

The package came with three branches (for MORE olive trees obvs) and I used the biggest one. I spray painted it brown...and was surprised when it looked real. You can use any brown paint -- craft paint even. I would suggest you use a matte finish for a realistic look.

Step two: Attach your olive stems

I already had olive stems that I use throughout the year in our decor, so I didn't want to use those. Instead I grabbed bundles of the olive branches instead: 
Read the full post

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar