'Tis a lesson you should heed:
Try, try, try again.
If at first you don't succeed,
Try, try, try again.
I guess that one really struck a chord with me because it was the first time I realized that if you tried something, it was okay to fail - just keep trying!!! I've employed that wisdom countless times in my life, and just recently, adopted the philosophy for the Storybook Cottage's kitchen appliances. I really wanted a Do-Over, and I'm so grateful that I got the chance!
To refresh your memory, the first attempts at the Phoenix Models Ascot Gas Cooker and Fridge kits went great until I applied the paint. I did a lot of research to find top quality paint in a color that would work well in the Cottage's kitchen. The can I received must have been exposed to extreme heat or cold prior to life with me. It came straight out of the nozzle lumpy, even after I'd taken very careful steps to ensure the right temperature, and painstakingly shook the can continually for at least ten minutes.
| First attempt with bumpy paint. |
Additionally, the paint color pictured on the seller's Amazon page was definitely pink. I received a color closer to apricot. The color I ordered and received, Cocktail, is actually very pretty, and would still look adorable in a retro setting, but my cottage was crying out for Pink!
![]() |
| Seller's Amazon Listing which still includes the wrong color photo. I did notify them. |
| Actual Cocktail Paint Color Can |
So lesson learned, I was fortunate to be able to purchase a second set of appliances. This time I used tried and true Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X (primer and paint in one) in Sweet Pea (same as the bathroom fixtures). Although this is the worst time of year to be spray painting, I took my time and the results were excellent! :O)
And here they are looking completely cohesive and comfortable in their new home!
The center table even got a bit of a makeover of it's own with the pink tile top.
And here are some pics of the sink side...
And the stove side...
And the whole room together...
And now that the kitchen appliances are finished, I get to decide where to put all of this!!!
This could be fun... And challenging! But just look!!!
Play time is ~F~I~N~A~L~L~Y~ here!!!
So what's going to happen to the apricot appliances? I've lovingly finished them up, and even with their spatterware texture, they're adorable! They will likely be listed in an eBay auction, soon, with a starting bid of $.99 just to make it fun. I'll let ya know...
This whole adventure, though challenging, has taught me something. I am still learning that loving the process of making mini dreams come true can be like working on a long and happy marriage:
1. You've got to be willing to overlook minor flaws in favor of the overall greatness.
2. You've got to have a short memory and be willing to just forget lots of unpleasant moments.
3. You've got to love the journey with a larger portion than the results or the expectation of where you might end up.
4. You have to be proud of the efforts and embrace the lessons that helped you grow.
I am going to try and keep these lessons in mind as I continue to embrace new challenges and, God forbid, have many more Do-Overs!
xo xo,
Jodi



0 Yorumlar